Thursday, June 3, 2010

The next step .. The visit...

For those of you that like to read the end of the book first.. I will start with a portion of a sentence my surgeon highlighted in bright yellow on a page of information about ductal carcinoma in situ....

"As stated above, in most cases DCIS has a very high cure rate with survival approaching 100%."

"focus on this sentence".. she said as she pushed the page toward me.. I left holding on to my films and the page of information she had given me..

The beginning of the book has an introduction... her name is Carol

She is the receptionist, greeter, take all the information, sister to the surgeon that is the first person you see when you enter Dr. Harrison's office. She is shiny.. like a penny.. a handsome, tall, dark skinned woman that speaks in a tone of voice that is so sincere you want to lay your head on her shoulder.. because you know that she will wrap her arms around you and say in that bright shiny voice.. "it's ok".... you immediately know.. this woman is not going to forget, confuse or irritate you.. she is very efficient and commented now and then with "goodness.. we are a bit backed up.. :)" smiling all the time.. assuring all that no worries.. no one will be missed and that they are there for everyone.. I am in love with Carol..

We were " a bit backed up" and 25 minutes after my appointment time, I was finally summoned to the exam room.... by then I had gone to the bathroom 3 times.. needed chap stick because my lips were sticking together and became aware of weird growly noises coming from my tummy because I had been to nervous to eat breakfast..

I did not wait long.. Dr. Neidra Harrison is much like her sister Carol in looks.. .. but sterner.. she is not shiny.. she is determined.. it is in her step, her questions and her look you right in the eye way of talking to you and this persona is even more clear to you after an hour of questions and reviewing medical history.. and the most complete breast exam I have ever had... if I still smoked.. I would have to light one up..I am just saying..

The visit then moved to her office (I can see why they get "backed up" due to unhurried one on one time with patients) where we were joined by my Tim.. where she very carefully and completely explained what needed to be done..

No surgery to be scheduled till a MRI is done (next week) to determine if there is any cancer in my other breast..

No surgery to be scheduled till the MRI (next week) tells her exactly where the cancer is because she is concerned that she may have to remove my nipple to get it all and have clean margins.. which is basically a partial mastectomy..

No surgery to be scheduled till the Radiologist tells her that I can have radiation again.. so soon after my last treatment.. if not a full mastectomy will have to be done.. other wise there is a 40% chance the cancer will come back..

But it has started.. step by step ...

"as stated above, in most cases DCIS has a very high cure rate with survival approaching 100%"


No comments:

Post a Comment