Friday, September 3, 2010

a lesson on how to survive and running buddies..

Many of you know ....if you are a face book buddy or a good friend that I belong to a run/walk group here in Anthem called the Cupcake Runners..  started by a few gals (the bakers) that decided they were going to be runners.. complete not compete . and turned loose every Saturday morning women (and some men) of all shapes and sizes with one thing in common.. to show "they could do it".. no matter if it were a block, from one light pole to the next, walk run walk run..

.....because of their support I ran the Emma's Run 5K.. me ..me ...who never thought of herself as a runner.. ran a 5K.. and through them .. the cupcakes... I was introduced to Irma..

Irma doesn't know about that day because I was blocks behind her on a Saturday morning.....

We were running the relay route and one of the "bakers" from the cupcake group slowed down and ran with me to encourage me...

"keep going Mary... 60 more seconds.. you can do anything for a minute'" she said.. I not only did not believe her at that minute..but really for a moment thought.. "I 'm not sure if I like this at all.. someone running next to me.. making me not give up..".. then she said this.. "See the girl ahead of us?".. "yes, I replied"... "That's Irma...She has breast cancer and she ran the 1/2 PF Chang after her surgery..two weeks Mary.. after her surgery".. "really?? I replied... "Yep she said.. really... you know Mary.. you can do anything for 60 seconds.. just go 60 seconds more".. "ok.. sixty seconds more.. ok." 

and I did it.. I did it because of Irma.. We meet for real at the 2010 Cancer Relay for Life event.. as survivors we joined the cupcake team to raise money to fight cancer... walked the track together as survivors... and have become friends with much in common..we have found that spiritually we are very alike.. we laugh a lot... and we both are blessed by a loving support group, friends and family.. ...she is my "meet at Starbucks Green Tea" buddy.  She probably doesn't know I ran Emma's Run 5K because of her..  

I am sharing an article with you about Irma.. my Green Tea buddy, one of my blessings and how she turned to her running group "the cupcakes" for support.. not knowing that was exactly what she was giving to someone a few blocks behind her.. 'sixty seconds more".. is going to add  up to a lifetime of never giving up.. enjoying life... and a thank you to Irma..

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fsharing.mayoclinic.org%2F2010%2F08%2F24%2Firma-p-far-fro&h=1d45f  

1 comment:

  1. Great story! It made me tear up! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete