Monday, October 25, 2010

Rainbows, Hats and Flowers...

We woke up this morning to loud cold Colorado wind.. the day we were to lay my mother to rest.. it was not sunny...it was not bright... but as we drove this morning to the services.. rainbows appeared..

honestly.. rainbows.. bright and clear.. with no rain....our directions were clear... we were to follow the rainbow.. and come together as a family to lay Carol Sue to rest.. As I got out of the car.. my cousin Kendra came up to me and said.. "did you see the rainbow?".. I will never ever see a rainbow again.. without thinking of my mother..beautiful bright colored rainbows...

The service was wonderful.. mom's favorite music.. and there were flowers everywhere.. bright rainbow colors... not just funeral whites and pastels... but reds, violets and blues...

The Aunts and Uncles had met and they decided they wanted to read my blog about the West Virginia Girl at the eulogy.. My sweet Aunt Pauline.. who was the closest to my mother.. called me before the services and asked permission for my Aunt Patty to read it.. and many friends stood up and shared stories that made us laugh .. and some that made us cry..

One of the best parts of the service was that the Aunts had decided.. all the girls were to wear hats in celebration of my mother...my mother loved..loved... hats..... she had many.. all sorted by color and size.. and all of the girls, Aunts and grandchildren picked a hat to wear to her service.. it was a wonderful tribute and I am sure my mother loved it..

My children used some of their time to visit childhood haunts... schools and places full of memories.. they had a wonderful time going through ton's of pictures that my mother had...teasing each other.. hugging each other and loving each other..

and as my family all came into the chapel today.. the day we laid my mother to rest.. the girls in their hats.. and Tim and Tony in their suits.. I just was in awe of how wonderful they were.. how blessed I am and how grateful I was of their constant support ..

It filled my heart to see them.. their great Aunts and Uncles holding and hugging them close.. and helped me accept that there are things that end... only to begin other things... new families and new generations.. memories and love and laughter... rainbows..flowers and hats...

No comments:

Post a Comment