Monday, March 28, 2011

va bene ...ok

it is raining today in Florence.. it is a day for churches...so the woman making morning cappuccinos here at the hotel this morning told us.  Sweet Tim and I have returned from Viterbo where we have spent 2 days with distant relatives..driving through Italian wine country.. visiting the home of my Grandfather Davide in the tiny hill town of Ischia di Castro...where a woman looking much like my sister Janet.. came up to us in the church and said.."Belfiore?? I am also a Belfiore!"..  During our visit we were told my cousin Mara's husband Gianfranco was diagnosed in January with lung cancer.. I cannot escape.. it is everywhere.. Gianfranco made a Popeye arm pose.. saying he is strong.. but later Mara told me her hair is gray because it is bad.. he has had radiation and now will have chemotherapy in April.. he is thin and coughing.. but full of humor.. like all Italians..

They accept fate.. believe in destinies and love life...early this week in the market a man tried to sell sweet Tim a leather shoulder bag.. Tim said no.. I have one.. (he currently carrys a beat up canvas bag).. the man thought for a moment and then said.. "va bene..ok.. plastic is good when it rains"..

Italians are made of the stone they build their houses with..strong .. lasting forever.. crumbling only after years of being in the weather.. we survive..we survive..

va bene.. ok

No comments:

Post a Comment