Monday, December 6, 2010

The simple act of living with hope...

The holidays are coming closer.. and the "hustle and bustle" that comes along with it.. it is hard to focus on the true meaning of Christmas.. but I am trying..

this week a few ladies from my running club came for coffee after the Saturday run .. and as they left.. one reached for my favorite necklace.. to read the charms that hang on a silver chain.. 'trust" and "believe" they say.. a reminder to me that everyday I must put my trust in a higher power and that I must also believe that my life has a destiny.  One of the charms was given to me by a daughter..the other I purchased at a cancer fund raising event... little did I know that they would lead me daily.

A number of my friends are stricken with cancer again and the struggle goes on in the midst of shopping and holiday trees.. I remember having treatment during the holidays after my first diagnose.. my Christmas gift was that I truly realized how much I loved my family and how much they loved me.. a gift I remind myself of every day ..it goes along with my determination to "trust" and "believe".  I thank God for his gifts.. no matter how difficult they may be to understand.

Today I heard that Elizabeth Edwards will not longer take treatments for her breast cancer.. and I was struck by the sadness I felt in hearing this.. my heart is broken for her and her family.  My son gave me her book about her breast cancer journey after my first diagnosis with cancer and I feel connected to her through written words. I did not know at that time.. I would  be living her journey one day. .I think the posting on her facebook page says it all..

"I have found that in the simple act of living with hope, and in the daily effort to have a positive impact in the world, the days I do have are made all the more meaningful and precious. And for that I am grateful." ~ Elizabeth Edwards


Let's not forget the meaning of this holiday.. it is all about hope is it not? .. positive words full of love.. light and courage.. The simple act of living with hope.. 

God Bless you Elizabeth..

No comments:

Post a Comment